Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sponsor me for Cancer Society's Relay for Life

I've signed up for the Relay for Life. Actually I've agreed to be team captain for our church's team. We have ten other great people signed up to raise money and do their share of walking. We have called our team Bethel KOs. The name has a bit of a double meaning for us. We want to do our part to help Knock Out cancer. And KO also stands for Kindness Outreach at our church. This is one of the kindness events we are planning for our church to be involved in the community through the summer.

I haven't done much of this kind of thing. I did walk with my daughter several years ago in a Walk-a-thon. I'm looking forward to this one and my daughter will once again be involved. The Relay for Life is a 12 hour event that goes from 7:00 p.m Friday night, June 27 to 7:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Thankfully, I won't have to walk for 12 hours straight. That's why we have a team! As captain I just have to sit in the tent and give orders. Just kidding. I will do my share of the walking. As team captain I guess I should set the pace and the example, eh?

I'm a little concerned about not getting much, if any sleep. It might be a challenge to be well rested and alert to preach on Sunday! But all the more opportunity for God to show His supreme strength in my weakness.

This isn't a "Christian" cause, but it is a good one--one that hits quite close to home. I have a brother-in-law and a brother who have gone through cancer in the last while. A woman in our church is in the midst of treatment right now. I count it a privilege to do a little to help.

You can help too! Will you sponsor me for this walk? You can do it right online with a credit card at this link to the Canadian Cancer Society website. Check "Pledge a participant." Click "Next" and follow the prompts. Enter my name as David Groff. And thank you so much!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Dave

No comments: