Sunday, June 29, 2008

Relay for Life 2008: Final Report

What a weekend!  We woke up to rain Friday morning and kinda groaned.  Not today!  By the time we picked up the tents and the helpers and got down to the lake the sun had come out.  We staked out our spot and then left to run some errands, etc.  I never did get a nap!  The sun shone most of the day; a little cloud, but no rain...until 15 minutes before it was time to get to the event.  Then it just poured.  The David Thompson Brigade which started their 50+ day canoe trip from Rocky Mountain House, Alberta arrived at 6:00 p.m.  That was pretty neat.  

The Relay for Life kicked off at 7:00 p.m. in the rain, thunder and lightning.  We got soaked the first half hour.  Thankfully we all had changes of clothes.  Our team plan to have some people walking the whole time was to split into three groups with each group walking a half hour then taking an hour break.  It worked pretty well.  We had at least a couple people on our team walking the whole time.  After that first hour of rain, it tapered off to a drizzle through the night and it wasn't bad at all.  

I managed to stay awake the whole night and walked 22.4 km or 14 miles so I felt good with that.  Our team of ten people walked 184 km and raised $2100.00!  Way to go team!

It might have been more "fun" if the weather was nicer, but it was a great experience for a good cause.  I challenge you to find an event near you and get your church involved.  It's a great way to get outside the four walls of the church and do something in and for the community.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to my walk!

As if that wasn't enough excitement, we had our church picnic this afternoon.  After a whole day of rain yesterday, it turned out beautiful today.  We even got in a ball game with the kids.  So...I'm a little worn out, but I think one more early to bed night will get me back to normal.

The first picture is a shot of the David Thompson Brigade.  The second is our Relay team.




4 comments:

Jonathan D. Groff said...

I'm glad to hear you had a good time, even with the rain. There is nothing like an all-nighter to remind you you're not young anymore. That was the first indicator for me (and I'm not quite 30 yet.)

You better tell the rain to stop for when we come to visit.

Sara Kellar said...

being tired is what you get when you play a ball game with "the kids" (what a derogatory term :P), and, consequently, get beaten by our awesomeness.

but dont worry. NEXT TIME we'll go easy on you.

maybe.

(did you notice the "next time" bit?)

Dave Groff said...

I don't use "kids" in a derogatory way at all. I refer to my own children and grandchildren that way. I use it as a term of affection. And I wasn't meaning you, Sara, anyway. I was meaning the little ones.

Sara Kellar said...

then what are we? I've thought of a few terms (:D):

~ Teens
~ Youth
~ Supreme baseball players of awesomeness

Your choice :D.

(did you notice the "next time" bit?)