Friday, May 30, 2008

Should Church Be Fun?

A little over a week ago I asked, "Is church fun or boring?"  I was hoping for a few more responses, but I am encouraged that the two people who commented said that church was fun for them.  I am thankful to be a part of their church and their lives!

However, I'm still having some trouble saying church should be fun.  I think it partly depends on your definition of fun.  Dictionaries define fun as enjoyment, amusement, pleasure.  I enjoy kidding around with people, even from the pulpit on occasion.  I enjoy humorous illustrations in sermons.  I take pleasure in people serving well through music, reading Scripture, etc.  I'm in favour of fun in church in those terms.

I guess what is really bothering me about this is that I don't believe that going to church should be primarily about us.  While there are several legitimate purposes for "Sunday morning church," I believe that worshipping God should be Number One.  If anyone has fun at church it should be God!  He should be finding pleasure and enjoyment in our praise to Him.  It seems to me that many people have missed this.  We go to church to be entertained.  We get something out of worship only when it fits our preferred styles.  We see ourselves as the audience who should be having the fun.  We forget that God is the audience that we are to please.

Church should not be boring.  It will not be boring if we focus on God.  Rather than going to church looking for fun, I see fun(enjoyment, pleasure) as a by-product of spending time with God in worship.

Dave 




No comments: