Thursday, June 5, 2008

Storing Up Treasure in Heaven

For starters, here's an indication of how little I know about blogging.  There's comic strip I tried to put here that I wanted to share with you, but I can't seem to make it work.  Please take a moment to see it  here.


I want to take this opportunity to comment on a couple things pertaining to the comic.  The comic is on John Piper's Desiring God website.  The home page is here: Desiring God.


It's a site I frequent.  I have great respect for John Piper and his teachings.  I have jokingly commented that my sermons aren't complete without a comment from Piper.  So I encourage you to visit the site and browse around.  Lots of great stuff!


The comic grabbed my attention because God has been and continues to work in my life in this area.  In Matthew 6:20-21, after telling His followers where not to store their treasure, Jesus said,


"But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."


I could go on for hours( I did for six weeks in adult SS) on this because of what God has been teaching me and all the questions I still have about actually implementing it.  For now, I'll just say that we are no wiser than that dragon when we do what he's doing.  When we quit hoarding and start giving it away, we do far greater good for God, for others, and for ourselves.  I'd much rather have that pile in Heaven where God is looking after it and where I can enjoy it forever one day!   

No comments: