Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Women are Home!

I'm very happy!  My wife and daughter arrived safely to the airport on Friday night.  We spent the night and much of Saturday in Winnipeg doing a little shopping and resting up before driving the four hours back home.  Patti was happy to find her home in one piece and reasonably clean.  All the dishes and laundry were caught up.  The bed was made for the first time in two weeks.  There was even some milk in the fridge.  

So how do I evaluate the experience?  I'm not sure it's necessary to do so too deeply, but a few things.  I can do the bachelor thing if I have to.  I don't want to.  I don't like it.  But I can do it.  There were many things I missed with having my wife away.  Some of them had to do with things she does for me, but I also missed her and that enhanced my love for her.  And I discovered some things that I can do to show her my love.  She works very hard for me and I have taken much of that for granted.  But now that I've learned how to do some laundry and other such things, I can help her do some of that.  I know it won't automatically mean that I will and I know myself well enough to know how easily I can slip into old habits, but the time apart and having to do it all myself has made me more sensitive.

A humorous short story of adjustment to close.  I woke up in the middle of the night last night sensing that someone was wandering around my bedroom.  I felt a shot of fear for a few seconds.  Who's in my house?  In my room?  Then I realized that I wasn't living alone any longer and my wife was up to the bathroom!  I thankfully and happily turned over and went back to sleep.

Grace and peace,

Dave

No comments: