Monday, March 23, 2009

The Week the Women Went- Part 6

It's getting late, at least for me.  I know that some of you are nighthawks.  But it's been a couple days since I checked in and I didn't want anyone to think I had dropped dead.  I guess that could happen to a bachelor and no one might know for days!  I'm still alive.

I am counting the days now until my wife comes home.  Not the hours yet, but I have less time alone left than I've already survived.  I think I'll make it.  This week should go a little easier than last.  I usually have two or three nights out a week.  Last week I had none; on the very week Patti was away.  Tonight my District Coach was here for a meeting and is staying overnight at our house so between supper, the meeting and chatting afterward the night went quick.  I have our church's kids' club another night and floor hockey another.  So I should make it, although I will have no one to ask me if I'm alright when I get home from hockey or to feel sorry for me if I'm not.

I took about an hour and a quarter off for lunch today instead of my usual half hour.  With my District Coach coming I had to make sure the dishes were caught up, the floor swept and I had to go buy a few groceries.  I suppose it could be tough doing all those things on your own after working a full day everyday.  

I talk to Patti every couple days and she is doing alright.  She misses me and I miss her.  I think that's a very good thing.  Still I know that this has been good for us.  Absence really does make the heart grow fonder.  It makes it ache a little too, but that's not all bad.

Partly for a joke, partly because I did want to promote my blog to our church congregation(because sometime I might have something really worthwhile to say here!) I posted a note on the powerpoint at the end of Sunday's service.  Something to the effect that if people wanted to know how Pastor Dave was doing without Patti they could read his blog at--and then I gave the address.  It brought a few smiles and a few hits, I think.

I appreciate all of you who come by here regularly or from time to time, but I have to say that you have been altogether unhelpful in giving me any advice on how to cope with this bachelorhood thing!  It must be a miracle that I've survived as long as I have!

Grace and peace,

Dave

1 comment:

Nicky said...

Dave, I'm sorry I haven't had anything to comment that would be helpful to you; I am equally as lost when my wife is away. In fact we often argue about who is allowed to die first, as neither of us wants to be the one left behind!

Just kiss Patti long and well, and praise God that He gave you the wonderful partner He knew you needed. Hang in there!