Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Review of A Tale of Two Sons

A Tale of Two Sons by John MacArthur is the best book I’ve read in some time.  At just over 200 pages it is an easy but worthwhile read.  MacArthur has done a masterful job at opening up the story of what we commonly know as the prodigal son found in Luke 15:11-32.  

 In Part 1, MacArthur lays out the context, both in terms of the Pharisees’ conflict with Jesus and the setting in which this parable is told.  Luke 15 begins with these words:

“Now all the tax-gatherers and the sinners were coming near Him(Jesus) to listen to Him.  And both the Pharisees and the scribes began to grumble, saying, ‘This man receives sinners and eats with them.’”  (Luke 15:1-2) 

 Jesus’ response was two short parables and then the parable of the prodigal.  MacArthur summarizes all three, before going on to talk about them at greater length, with these words: 

 “Throughout Luke 15, Christ is describing and illustrating the celebratory joy that fills heaven over the repentance of sinners.  That is the single central theme and the major lesson that ties all of Luke 15 together.”  (page 20)

 Part 1 concludes with these words:

 “I encourage you to use your reading of this book as an opportunity to do some serious, heartfelt examination.  If you’re new to the Christian faith, the parable of the prodigal son is an excellent starting place for studying God’s Word and learning to apply its truths to your life.  Even if you have been a church member for years, you will benefit greatly from the exercise.”   (page 37)

 I say “Amen” to that.  That’s all I’m going to give you for now.  Perhaps it’s enough to make you run out and buy the book right now.  If not, stay tuned.  I’ll share some more soon.  

 Grace and peace,

 Dave

1 comment:

Nicky said...

I'm looking forward to your comments on this book. I have often used the parable of the prodigal in my work with students, to illustrate that God wants us to return to him; the father is a type of our Father, patiently watching and hoping for us to come home, and ready, willing and able to receive us to Himself and restore us with no recrimination, regardless of what we've done or how far we've gone astray. I am always encouraged when I realize that, no matter how hard I run from Him, He is always just a step away once I turn back towards Him.