Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Baptist Goes to Catholic Mass

I went to a Catholic Mass for the first time ever tonight.  I went with a friend to see what it was like and to hopefully open up a door to be able to talk about our differences.  This is not meant to be any kind of a theological discussion or a look at doctrine(at least not much).  It's more just observation: What surprised me, what I liked, what I didn't care for, what I didn't understand.  

There were a number of things I didn't understand, including the proper terms for things so I'm sure to show my ignorance to those who know more.  I don't understand the use of Latin in the service.  It wasn't much, but it was there.  I didn't understand the many gestures or the things that the priest "mumbled" over the eucharist elements.  I say "mumbled" only because he spoke aloud but too quietly to hear.  I didn't understand my friend's comment to me.  While we were seated waiting for the service to start the priest was walking around greeting people.  He greeted my friend and asked who I was.  I was introduced by name only.  After he left, my friend whispered, "Should I have told him you were the enemy?"  I didn't know how much was joke and how much he meant.  It stayed with me for awhile, but I forgot to ask him when the service was finished.

Surprises:  I was surprised that there was no organ.  Music was led with a guitar and a keyboard.  I guess they do use an organ at a more traditional service.  I was surprised that the message was very short--ten minutes and that is the norm at this church.  I was surprised at the Scripture readings.  They included John 3:14-21 and Ephesians 2:4-10.  Great Gospel passages on salvation by grace through faith!  My understanding has always been that they do not believe that.  However they understand them, they do not shy away from such passages.  And I was surprised by how quick the place cleared out afterwards.  We greeted a couple people on the way out, but didn't stop to talk to anyone.  It seemed that most people were doing the same.  A few people in our Baptist church head right for the door, but many stay and visit for several minutes if not 30 or more.

I didn't like the short sermon.  It tied the Scripture readings together, but I felt there wasn't much substance.   I didn't like that all the Scriptures and most other parts of the service with in a booklet instead of actually having or opening the Bible.  I didn't like the lack of an extended time of singing.  There was a song here and there--some more chants than songs.  I didn't like the statue of Mary and of Jesus.  I don't know that I would call them idols, but I think they made it harder to concentrate on the unseen Jesus.  I really didn't like the couple of references to Mary.  One was in reference to her being always a virgin.  The Bible says different.  The other had to do with prayer.  My friend assures me that they don't pray to Mary.  He says that it is more like praying through Mary.  Asking Mary to help them get through to Jesus.  I think that's what he said.  If that's it, it still isn't biblical.  We have free access to Jesus directly. 

There were some things I did like though and even wish we could incorporate into a Baptist service(I'm sure some do, but we don't).  I liked the way they had a couple children(a boy and and a girl) involved as helpers through the whole service.  Are they what are called altar boys/girls?  I liked the several Scripture readings.  I especially liked the opportunity for congregational response that liturgy gives.  It's not that great for visitors to feel a part of even with the little book, and I'm sure it can get to be just habit without much meaning other than the comfort of routine.  But the people are involved and not just spectators!  That's very good!

Grace and peace,

Dave

No comments: