Saturday, November 8, 2008

Work Hard and Play Hard But Never Confuse the Two

I want to share another lesson from Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor.  Don Carson wrote,

"Mum used to tell us kids, 'Work hard, and play hard, but never confuse the two.'  By this she wanted us to know that while we were working, we should not fritter away the hours by squeezing in distractions and various kinds of play.  The result would be poor work combined with guilt feelings for a job poorly done.  Similarly, when we were playing we were not supposed to be thinking about work because that would dilute some of the regenerative value of downtime.  But Dad never learned Mum's simple maxim.  The total number of hours he put into his calling each week was excessively high, but occasionally--as much out of fatigue as discouragement--he would permit something else to intrude, and then feel guilty about it.  Mum's maxim should be posted on the mirrors of most ministers."  (p. 93)

I do fall into the trap of "playing" at work from time to time.  Well, not playing exactly, but I find it quite easy to "wander off" when using the internet to research this or that for a sermon or other work.  So many interesting links!  So much great information!  I can even still be learning, but I'm not getting my work done.  I need to be a little more disciplined in this area.

It can also be a challenge to get play time in without feeling guilty.  My play this time of year is two hours of floor hockey once a week.  Last year, being at a new church I struggled to keep that night free.  This year I've done a much better job at protecting this time.  It's not always easy.  When you have a number of evenings out for meetings in the course of a month it is tough to find nights that work for every one.  I sometimes feel guilty when I say I'm busy that night knowing it is "only floor hockey" and I'm often tempted to give it up.  But I've told my board that I NEED to protect that night.  I need it for exercise.  I need it to manage stress.  I need it for fun.  I need it to build relationships with unchurched guys.  Therefore I refuse to feel guilty.  And when my wife tells me to be careful, my standard reply is, "I can't be careful and have fun!"

So, I encourage you too, to work hard, play hard, but never confuse the two!

Grace and peace,

Dave    

1 comment:

Jonathan D. Groff said...

I can't help but wonder what your reply would have been to 15 year old Jonathan had he said, "I can't be careful and have fun."

But that is a good reminder.