Monday, November 17, 2008

Reminiscing 30 Years Ago


Our lives changed dramatically thirty years ago today, Friday November 17, 1978. Twin boys were born into our family that day! I remember getting a phone call at work saying that the doctor was going to do a C-section on my wife, Patti. They had been trying to induce labour for a couple days, but "lost" the heartbeat of one of the boys. At that point they decided to go in after them. The delivery went fine and just three weeks after discovering that there was more than one baby, we were the proud parents of twin boys: Jonathan David and Ronald Nathan.

Less than 48 hours later, our joy and excitement turned to fear. Patti developed blood clots and was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Hamilton, Ontario and put in Intensive Care. The next morning I received word that they were taking the boys to the same hospital, "just to be near their Mom." After spending time with Patti I went looking for my sons. I was directed to a section of the hospital, given a gown and mask to put on and buzzed in to see them. I didn't understand the gown and mask. I was shocked to see a little guy through the glass window with a bunch of wires going to his head and chest. I said a silent "thank you" that this was not one of my sons.  And then I found out it was! Apparently they had picked up some kind of virus or something and were deathly sick. I was scared to death.

God graciously answered the prayers of many people and brought all three home safe and sound. His grace continued over the years, giving us a daughter, bringing each of our children to salvation through Jesus, keeping us healthy and safe, blessing us with great times together, meeting all our needs and more, and keeping our kids walking with Him in spite of our many parenting mistakes.  

They have challenged us and given us some sleepless nights, stretched us, taught us as much as we've taught them, loved and encouraged us.  They have been a joy and we would not have traded away the experience for anything.   

Yes, our boys have reached their 30th birthday today, are loving husbands and fathers and working to be what God wants them to be. We are proud of both of you! We miss them, being separated by a couple days drive, but we manage to keep in touch.  We are thankful to God for His grace to all of us and continue to pray for our sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren.  May God bless you and make you a blessing to many!

Happy Birthday Jonathan and Ron!

Grace and peace,
Dave

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad!! Great post! Obviously I am grateful that all were healthy!
And I am also impressed that Jon actually made it to his 30th birthday inspite of being pretty reckless and rather prone to accidents. Thank you Jesus!!! Oh, and could you tell me which one is which in the picture? I am pretty sure that Jon is the one on the left but am not postive. Thanks!

Dave Groff said...

Yes, it really is quite amazing. And yes, Jonathan is the one on the left.

Susan Stitch said...

What a wonderful celebration! God is so good. Thanks for your great comment on my blog (http://hismorningglory.blogspot.com). Please feel free to reference it (and I'd love to know how you found it!).

Congratulations on surviving 30 years with boys!

Susan