Monday, May 26, 2008

Your Dad or Your Dog?

With Father's Day on the horizon I found a study comparing dogs and dads more than a little disconcerting.  A group of college students was asked how strongly they agreed with the following statements about their dogs and members of their family.  

- I can count on my dog being there for me.
- I miss my dog when I am away from him or her.
- When I am feeling bad and need a boost, I turn to my dog to help me feel better.
- I can depend on my dog to care about me no matter what.
- I can count on my dog for comfort.
- I have an emotional tie to my dog.
- I would be upset if I had to be away from my dog for a long while.
- My dog holds a special place in my heart.



Apparently Dads scored lower in a number of cases than pet dogs!  (you can see the article here) I have had dogs and enjoy dogs, but I cannot fathom this.  Who's to blame?  I don't doubt that Dads have some work to do in letting their kids know they are loved and cared for.  But I also wonder about the students surveyed.  I have never felt more affection for my dog than my Dad or any other member of my family.  Is it simply easier to relate to a pet than working at a relationship with parents?



If you dare, take the test,(I wonder how I'll rate with my kids!) then get off the computer and strengthen those family ties!  

To my Dad: Thanks for being there for me my whole life.  You're far better than any dog any day!  I love you.

Dave

                                        



2 comments:

Jonathan D. Groff said...

Well, I don't have a dog (I do have a cat), but I can't imagine caring more about a dog than any human being, much less my father. I always find it frustrating to hear about individuals who place the well being of animals over the well being of people.

I think this survey encourages specific answers geared toward dogs more so than it does to fathers. For example, we are encouraged to be independent from our parents and to be fine with leaving home. Therefore a question stating "I would be upset if I had to be away from my dog for a long while" is unfair. Should I really be "upset" about leaving my dad. Sad, yes; upset, no. But I would feel upset about having to leave my cat--I have taken on the responsibility of caring for it. Also, the needing a boost idea is similar. If you live with your dog, but not your dad, then the dog will be the first thing you see and are able to be comforted by; after that you won't need to call up your dad for a boost.

Additionally, some key questions were missed, such as the idea that you brought up at the end of the entry "I have an affection for my dad (dog). A more important question may ask something about how you would feel if one was diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Lastly, this survey is taken out of context when comparing the results of the two surveys (for dog and dad) when the survey itself does not ask for the comparison: "do you feel you can count more on your dog than on your dad to be there for you?". People should be made aware of the purpose of the survey.

In the end, I wouldn't feel too badly about the results of this survey, and you can be encouraged that I love you far more than I would ever love any pet.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.