Friday, October 24, 2008

Another Lesson at the Gas Station

This lesson could have come in any setting but it was another gas station episode for me.  Not that it was a big deal, just a good reminder.

I had a clear lane of two gas pumps to pull up to.  I make it a habit to pull up to the furthest so someone can pull in behind me, but today the second pump was out of order so I stopped at the first.  A truck behind me suddenly swerved around me and the guy gave me a dirty look like I should have pulled up further.  I could almost hear what he was thinking:  "What a stupid jerk!  He couldn't pull up twenty more feet?!  People don't think of anyone but themselves!!!!"  I can imagine such words, or worse, because they've been on my minds and lips many times before in similar situations.  Of course when he got to where he thought I should have been he realized his mistake and had to turn back around to get to the pumps on the other side.

How many times have we judged someone's actions and motives without seeing the whole picture?  I've done it many times, and probably many more than I even realize.  It is so easy to jump to conclusions and think wrongly about people.  

As I write this, I ask myself how I can try to respond better.  I think patience is part of the answer.  Always being in such a hurry about everything is a sure way to misjudge people.  Forming a habit of thinking the best of people, starting with giving them the benefit of the doubt instead of thinking the worst will also go a long way to fixing this.  And finally, when it's possible, good communication is vital: asking a question for clarification instead of assuming you know what they meant.

I'm glad I was on the receiving end of this glare instead of handing it out this time.  It's a good reminder.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"  Matthew 7:3

Dave 

No comments: