Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pastor's Job Description

Before you question my motives as you read this post, allow me to do it for you. Is it to complain? To some degree, yes. Is it an effort to relieve guilt. Absolutely! But I hope it will also give you something to think about with me and also to help me think about from your perspective.

Today was a work day at the church. I didn't go. And I felt guilty for it. There are several reasons why I didn't go(some would call them excuses). Here are my two main ones: Saturday is my only full day off and I don't always get even that. Second, I am not good at work days. It has never been my strength or expertise--painting, cleaning windows, changing florescent bulbs, etc. I don't enjoy it and I am just all thumbs at that kind of stuff. I honestly feel inferior at these days. I could add that my wife has a knee injury and it was important that I help her get some things done that she has trouble doing; true today, but not always the case.

I have helped a little in past work days and I have missed some altogether. No one has outright told me that they expect I should be there, but I'm quite sure that is the case. There was a recent incident that I heard about where someone expressed their opinion that I should be taking a turn cutting the church grass. To add a little more pressure, our church-owned house is just across the lawn from the church so we could see what was going on and they could likely see us at home.

I mostly don't believe I need to be there yet I feel some guilt about not going. The only good I can see for me to be there is being a good example and being in the trenches with the people. Certainly not insignificant, but I'm not convinced that is good enough reason to give up a much-needed day off. I think most of the guilt comes from not meeting others expectations, but at the same time most people don't really have a clue what I do there(what most pastors do for that matter). Some of those extra things would be most of the snow shoveling in the winter, a large share of moving tables and chairs up and down the stairs as needed, watering plants and so on. I hope that doesn't sound like bragging. My intention is more to inform.

Well enough from me. What do you think? Should I have gone? Why or why not? Should these types of things be in a pastor's job description? Do people understand the job of a pastor? Do you? I appreciate any comments you'd care to make. Thanks.

Grace and peace,

Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No,you should not have gone. Everyone needs and deserves a day off..even God rested on the seventh day. Others may first see this as selfish but they may not understand all that you do in your position. Use the time to rest and recharge.

Nicky said...

Dave, I understand how trying to carve out some (necessary) personal time can inspire feelings of guilt, because I live there too! I am not a pastor, but I do minister in my church, and the pressure to be there every time the doors are open is very real...whether internal or external! But my pastor gave me some very good advice when he warned me to exercise restraint in taking on new roles; too often we do many things rather less well, than a few things with excellence. God is glorified when we do well with what He has given us, not just when we do "more"!