Friday, July 31, 2009

Camp-style Worship and Men

I had the privilege of being at a Christian kids' camp this week to share the Bible story in chapel. I'm quite sure I received more than I gave. To start with, the cook insisted on making me a delicious bacon sandwich. But what really gave me a lift was the worship of these kids(grade two to seven, I think). It wasn't so much the songs they sang. It was their enthusiasm. They were being taught to be excited, not just about singing, but about God and His Son. Even the boys. Especially the boys!

I've recently read stuff about why men don't care for church and I've seen it first hand. Here's just one article is you're interested in learning more. I wonder if the leaders of this camp read some of this material. They certainly encouraged boys to be boys and make a strong stand for Jesus. Just one small example of what I suspect was an on-going theme: The group was learning Romans 10:9 together. They broke into parts- a girls' part and a boys' part. Girls: "If you confess with your mouth" Boys: "that JESUS IS LORD" (loud and accompanied by fist pumps) Girls: "and believe in your heart" All: "You shall be SAVED."

There's no way to do it justice with words on a page, but I'll tell you it gave me chills to hear these young guys praising God and enjoying it. Of course this kind of thing is not allowed in church on a Sunday morning. There are camp songs and there are Sunday morning church songs. There are camp activities and there are Sunday morning church activities. There are many excited boys at camp and there are a few bored boys and men at Sunday morning church!

Dave

1 comment:

Bob said...

I agree! We need to do something about Sunday Services to engage the hearts of people. A couple of weeks ago there was a new item from the states .... a 7 year old boy "escaped" from the Sunday church service by stealing his parent's car, driving it home and in the process lead the police on a long chase. What a commentary on our church services!? What if it was turned around ... the 7 year old steals his parent's car and drives to church because he doesn't want to miss it! Just a thought!