Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Spirit



 My wife and I rang the bell and attended the kettle for a couple hours this afternoon in our town.  I had always assumed that the kettles were manned by Salvation Army personnel.  Not so, at least not exclusively.  A number of individuals and organizations get involved here.  Our church volunteered to ring the bells for a couple days this year.

We stood between the doors at our local Walmart.  It was an intriguing afternoon of observing people and their reaction to the kettle.  I tried to make eye contact with people coming in and either gave them a nod, a smile or a "How are you?"  Some acknowledged with a like response.  Some wouldn't make eye contact.  Some made a point of explaining that they had given previously.  Some put in loose change.  Some put in $20 bills.  All kinds of people gave and didn't give, but seniors seemed most open, friendly and prone to give.  I have no idea what all that means.  

It was an enjoyable experience: to chat with people I know and don't know, to help out a great cause, to give something back.  I found it a great boost to getting some real Christmas spirit.  So next time you pass by a kettle be sure to drop something in and give some thought to ringing the bells for an hour or two.  You won't be sorry.


No comments: