Friday, December 5, 2008

"Always Winter, Never Christmas"?

Winter is most definitely my least favourite time of year.  I don't like the cold.  I don't like driving in snow or shoveling it.  I don't like going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.  I don't get enough exercise.  I eat too much (Yes, I'm blaming those things on winter too).  I do not care for winter!  So why do I live in a part of the country that can have up to six months of it????

Yet there are a few bright spots in winter.  I must admit that fresh snow looks beautiful(from inside my house).  And then there is Christmas.  I do enjoy Christmas as the celebration of the birth of my Saviour and all the promises that will come to fruition in Him.  I'm reminded of the C. S. Lewis quote in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  Under the reign of the witch it is said to be "always winter, never Christmas."  But Jesus has come and we get to celebrate Christmas in the middle of winter both in this physical world and spiritually.  Jesus brought beauty and joy to the world's long winter.  Praise God for Christmas!

Now how can I tie my photos into this?  Oh yeah, sometimes in the midst of the bleakness of winter you can find some real beauty.  I took these shots on the way home from Thunder Bay a few weeks ago.  I think they capture the bleakness of winter, but also the beauty of God.

Grace and peace,

Dave














     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the pictures of the lakes and trees. Reminds me of the scenery in and around Meadow Lake. Now we are in the prairies - much different! But I have to admit this area has a beauty of it's own, especially in the hills and river breaks.

Merry Christmas to you and Patti.