Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tim Horton's Addiction?

Time for a light-hearted foray into my head.  Sounds scary, doesn't it!  

Am I addicted to Tim Horton's coffee?  I don't think so, but...

I began drinking TH coffee when I was working for Christies Dairy in southern Ontario.  I had at least half a dozen TH coffee shops on my route.  I was at one or more daily and most of them gave their delivery guy free coffee!  Can't turn that down!  I left the dairy to go to Bible school in the middle of Saskatchewan.  The closest TH was a twenty minute drive, which doesn't sound like much, but with the busyness of school and the income of a student getting into town and having a TH coffee was a true treat.  We no longer took it for granted.

After Bible school we lived back in southern Ontario for a while and then in Edmonton area.  Tim Horton's are plentiful in both places and I think perhaps I was hooked for awhile.  I could go without it, but the day didn't seem complete without going through the drive-through.

When we started considering a move to Fort Frances one of the first things I did was check online to see if the town had a Tim Horton's.  Thankfully it did!  One of the members of the pastoral search committee (wrongly) remembers that the first question I asked them was about Tim Horton's.  I know that's not true because I had already checked and knew!

That strongly suggests that TH coffee is a must-have for me, but in a normal week I would probably average only three medium cups.  I don't have to have it every day, but a few times a week I get this craving.  And it must be Tim Horton's.  I'm not really a coffee lover at all.  I almost never have coffee at home.  I don't buy it at any other restaurant(unless I'm out for breakfast).  And even TH's must be doctored with three cream and two sugar.  

So although I'd rather not do without, I could...  Except this time of year.  It's Roll-up-the-Rim time!!!!  That really gets me excited.  And also makes me buy more coffee in hopes of winning.  I guess you could say I'm addicted to gambling on Roll-Up more than to the coffee.  I don't buy lottery tickets.  I don't gamble with my money in any other way, but I definitely buy more coffee this time of year.  Thankfully it's only for about one month out of the year.

Grace and peace,

Dave 

No comments: