Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Reluctant Pastor

The title I chose for my blog was not my first choice.  Or my second.  In order to have the website address match the title I had to keep trying.  "God's Power in My Weakness" is a good fit however.  Especially when it comes to pastoring.  I have a love/hate relationship with pastoring.  I love that I get to spend hours studying and teaching God's Word.  And I get paid for it.  I love helping people learn, grow, and serve the Lord.  But there are also aspects that I struggle with.  I feel so inadequate, so weak in some things.  I feel the need to take breaks from pastoring from time to time.  

When I reflect on my calling and the assurances God has given me over the years, I can't argue that God wants me in ministry, but I have often asked, "Why me?"  The answer I keep coming back to is 1Corinthians 1:27.  God chooses the foolish and the weak so that He can get the glory!  That's fine by me.  If He is pleased to use me, I am pleased to be used.

So when I say I'm a sometimes reluctant pastor, I don't conclude that I shouldn't be pastoring.  Rather my conclusion is that I need to let the power of God work in me and through me.  I need to trust that God's power shines through my weakness.  His grace is sufficient.  

Dave        

No comments: